Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Role of our Sons

My two sons
While the importance of birth and nurturing is seen primarily as a mama's role, what about the role of our son's who will one day be fathers and the support system for their expectant partners.  It's been said over and over again that anyone can be a dad but it takes a real man to be a father.  How do we prepare our sons for fatherhood or is this a job primarily left to our partners to conduct.  What if we are a single parent who is the be all in a family, how then can our sons be modeled for greatness as a father.  Where do we go then if the male role models in our lives are not better as fathers than anyone.  I ask this question because I have two sons aged 16 and 7 and I wish for them to be comfortable in their roles as one day dads, who will support their partners in an assertive way and pre destine a gentle birth.  I have modeled my behaviour specific to what I wish for my sons.  The importance of birth and their role as a caring parent.  I speak openly about how they came into this world and the way in which their births empowered me collectively as a woman and as a mother.  I love my sons for giving me incredible experiences with birth, both natural and both with the imprint of love first and foremost.  I am grateful for the role their father played in their births.  I am grateful for the midwife support I received during their pregnancies, which assisted in equipping me with a grounded knowledge base.  You can only share through example of what you have experienced yourself.  No one can tell you how it was for you, like I cant tell a mama how it was for them.  You own your birth, just like I own mine.  It's not for anyone to steal, borrow or dictate.  Embrace your sons in your birth, include them so they can see and know first hand how to take the steps towards a great fatherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment