Wednesday, November 30, 2011

On a Journey with Papa

My youngest son was born in the early hours of the morning on 19 September 2004.  He was named by his Koro Sidney Maguire after his paternal tupuna Rereahu.  A significant name which comes up in both his Kai Tahu and Maniapoto lineage.  His second name Pikikotuku is from my mothers whakapapa and also has the meaning treasure, which in my mind holds double the significance.  At one week, we had the pleasure of hosting Papa at our whare in Te Awamutu.  It was significant to me to have Papa there and I was enriched with his knowledge concerning the placement of our whare (house) and what was happening around it.
We lived in a little reserve which was land to 21 other duplex style houses, with a security gate entrance, pool, gym etc.  We were situated at the top part which was more private than most of the duplexes on the land.  I gave our newborn to Papa who nestled into his arms and everyone that accompanied Papa gathered in the living room.  Before long Rereahu had fallen asleep in the comfort of Papa's arms and it wasn't too long after that Papa closed his eyes too.  Conversations still took place around Papa and the atmosphere was pretty jovial and humorous as always when many Maori gather.

An hour or so had passed and Papa woke, though Rereahu continued to sleep.  They had both been on a journey together to a big tree situated in the South Island.  It was a gathering of elders from the Kati Mamoe tribe, this was without knowing the whakapapa of our son in terms of his fathers lineage but, held so much significance considering the origins of his name.  The journey they both took together is something that I hold dear to my heart and hold dear to my son in so many ways.  It is a piece of Papa that has left an imprint on me and no doubt my son also, when he fully understands he is who he is for a reason.
Something else that was very interesting, was the vortex that was situated in our drive way.  The vortex was like a main highway to those on the other side travelling to where they needed to get to.  As Papa was speaking, he could see them walking past which for me sent some shivers up my spine.  This vortex was one of many in the area and fortunately for us, Papa closed it to prevent any further energy from finding it.  I know that my smidgen of an encounter can in no way surpass that of others and the knowledge that has been gained from his many wananga.  But for me, it's what affirms the mahi that I now do and from the place in which his teachings come from.  I have always been involved in some way with childbirth and for me I believe it is my calling.  I believe that what Papa says about the imprint of parents on a child when they are born is so powerful and so true to the way I feel.  I am greatful for the knowledge that I have been privy to thanks to Wikitoria carrying the seed to us here in Sydney.  I once again felt that my soul had come home to me and that I was ready to do what I was called to do.  Teenage pregnancy, Pregnancy and Fertility all play a roll in this journey and I intend on upholding this.  I am greatful to have the ancestors that I have, because they were and are strong people in so many ways.  Their DNA flows through my body and in my children's also, regardless of where they are on this earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment