Friday, December 9, 2011

Maori Birth in Australia

I believe strongly that the way we are born into this world reflects the way in which we live in this world.  The effects that a gentle birth has on a mother, baby and family is ten fold and so beneficial in so many ways.  I also believe that instilling our cultural identity into our children is something that starts prior to birth and at the time of conception.  Our ancient Oriori (lullaby) have been handed down through generations and for significant reason.  Oriori told us of our whakapapa, our ancestors and the things that would make us what we will be in the future.  I believe that when a tohu (sign) arrived at the time of our conception, that it was a means to acknowledge our future.  From then we had our Oriori chanted to us while we are in the womb and continuously until our birth into Te Ao Turoa (the new world)  This is the first of many waananga that we will encounter in our lives and possibly one of the most important.  We arrive with a knowing of the world, much like that of my now 7 year old son.  After having mahi with Papa Hohepa, he arrived with his eyes wide open and with a knowing.  He had no care to cry, until he realised that he was no longer in the familiar surroundings of my womb and before long he opened his lungs, announcing to the world that he had arrived.  He preferred the closeness of my body to his and I embraced him with as much of myself as I could. 
My aim is to bring back our ancient teachings such as Oriori and haputanga (pregnancy) related ahuatanga (elements) tikanga (customs) and matauranga (knowledge) belonging to our ancestors.  Something only us as Maori people are entitled to and gifted with.  We owe it to our babies to know who they are and be grounded in all aspects of their identity, no matter where it is that they are born.  My path to becoming a Tapuhi (Birth Attendant) is fast approaching and I am sensing the yearning from my own to want this.  While becoming a Midwife would ultimately be preferred, I feel as a Birth Attendant you are better able to maintain and uphold more traditions without the scrutiny of a hierarchy in the business sense to censorship your mahi.  2012 is looking brighter for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment