Thursday, February 7, 2013

Fast Food Ban

It's okay, it's not like I've been doing this all my life. Only in the last month have I made a determined decision, to get the crap out of our diet. I don't want fast food to be the easy, cheap option when it comes to food. If I know I can't afford to go to a proper cafe and eat, I'll opt to take my own food and picnic it. Healthy raw nuts, fruit, water, carrot, celery sticks etc. Make sandwiches with various fillings, using mountain wraps and any left over cold cuts or what ever is on hand. She loves it, although its taken a while to release my thinking from it. Maybe I'm a weird Maori to some, or maybe I want what's best for my daughters health. Fast food has become ingrained in us because it's inexpensive, satisfying and accessible. Food signifies a long term value of our bodies health (eye rolls) being conscious about what we eat takes focus and determination. You have to pre-plan and account for outings, resist the urges to get it cos you can and the kids are nagging. It means not being lazy, being pro-active and doing more than you currently are to pre-empt any given situation. It's been hard, as my partner grew up eating takeaways. That to change his way of thinking about food has been hard and still is. It's like an urge of instant gratification found when consuming takeaways, it kicks in his feel good hormones. How do you work with that, without coming off as controlling? Honestly I don't know but we as parents have to lead by example. We have to teach our daughter the value of growing, preparing, making and enjoying food in its close to natural state.

No comments:

Post a Comment