Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Mother and Daughter Talks

I love what the diva cup stands for, no more nasty tampons or sanitary towels that clog up our water ways. While there may be issues with insertion and extraction, once you have mastered it. I will never look at buying store brought products again. We save in the long run, we become more aware and in-tune with our body, our body becomes the centre of of our natural instincts and we form a healthy respect for our menstrual cycle. Having our periods has been seen as that yucky thing, the curse, the dreaded time of the month that must be hidden, not talked about and never shared openly with others. The most difficult part I found was not knowing what product was best for me. I wasn't blessed with a box of goodies or information to help me, I learnt through observation. Does that make me a lepper in my culture? Does that make my tapu even more tapu because I choose to discuss it? I'm trying to navigate my way between what is acceptable in my heart and what is acceptable in my culture. Is there a line that can't be crossed? I'm in no way meaning butts on tables kind of Kōrero, I'm meaning talking openly about menstrual cycles in Maori communities, with our wahine Maori communities. Talking about alternatives to shop pushed products, ways to increase our vitamin intakes, use our bodies as cues to deficiencies, ways to self ease menstrual cramps, easing symptoms of PMS, self care during our periods, what the color of our menstrual blood means, charting our cycles and sharing the meaning of a cycle. The effects of hormonal birth control pills, implants etc on our cycles later on in life. There is such a wealth of information contained in our cycles, that can teach us and our daughters about respecting our bodies. Nurturing and honoring our sacred selves and being the best possible role models to the girls in our lives.
Photo credit - thegreenestdollar.com

No comments:

Post a Comment