Thursday, September 22, 2011

Eating the Whenua (Placenta)

I find it interesting to hear of new mothers eating the placenta that they have just birthed.  I'm not talking straight eating it all natural and raw straight off the bat, I'm talking about encapsulating it and THEN eating it.  Following a process of first cleaning, boiling and then dehydrating, after this process it is powdered and then capsuled for use.  That simple and apparently very effective, well each to their own is all I can say.  It's certainly not a practice that I as a Maori woman would ever consider, for the mere sacredness that the Whenua holds to us and the rites in which need to take place for the Whenua.  Having the Whenua buried in a sacred place, maintains it's rightful significance to that of the child and the completion of this step following birth.  The placenta is not stored in the freezer for a later date, due to it being in the same vicinity as food, which from a cultural perspective is a no no.  I am pretty confident at upholding these handed down practices because it is who we are.  
I had at one stage considered a lotus birth, which involves leaving the Whenua attached and the process of waiting for the cord to detach happens when the Whenua is ready.  This brings about a few interesting concepts and thoughts about how the Whenua is nurtured much like the new born.  For Maori however or for me moreso, the Whenua contains it's own spirit within it.  Ultimately becoming it's own entity, which from our spiritual perspective needs be handled correctly.  Having the Whenua within the home is likened to energy not of this world lingering within your house.  Not too dis-similar to that of lingering spirits, because it is no longer a life force of this world.  It has surpassed it's purpose, much like our bodies when we pass.  So it must be buried in a scared place, to allow it to move on to the next stage of it's being.  How do you quantify such information into a scientific perspective which enable everyone to understand? Does the term spirituality even have a scientific twin to help with my thoughts.  Not likely but it's here as a thought provoking conversation none the less.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I am searching for traditional maori medicine to treat/ail my wifes engorged breast. We just had our 2nd child and so is her painful journey in breast feeding. I'm a firm believer of trees/plants/roots to heal coming from Philippines, but since NZ has different name for trees/plants/roots, I could not make which one will work. I know maori medicine practice works for they are the same as my country. So, reading your blog, I was wondering with your Maori upbringing, you can help me asked to your family what can I do. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping in and hope that I can assist your wife. For the most part we used the leaves from the cabbage tree in New Zealand, however the properties found in cabbage in general will have the same effect. As they both share anti inflammatory properties because of the amounts of glutamine in them. I would suggest boiled cabbage leaves. In the mean time, hot flannels should assist and provide some relief until the leaves are ready. Once the leaves are boiled, they can be either made into a paste by blending or the whole leaves can be placed directly on once cooled. Ice packs wrapped in a hand towel could also help, only not before feeding. Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete